UX Case Study: UberEATS

*The full-length version of this case study was published by Prototypr.io on Medium.  It currently has 3.9K claps!  View it here.

Background

Reason for writing this case study

To explore the human-centered design process through evaluating the usability of apps.  I chose to do a case study on UberEATS because it is a great food delivery service mobile app that is really popular in the on-demand industry. I am not affiliated with UberEATS. I am just looking for ways to challenge myself as a designer.

The challenge

  1. Improve user search experience

  2. Highlight an unused features

My role & timeline

2 week project

  • sole researcher and designer

Summary

From this case study, I discovered that:​

  1. The process to select food on UberEATS goes against most peoples’ natural food selection process.

  2. All users were completely unaware of UberEATS’ “schedule in advance” feature. In order to order food in advance from a closed restaurant, a user would need to set the delivery time then search for food. Because this process isn’t what users naturally wanted to do, the pathway to this feature is currently hidden.​

As a solution, I did the following:​

  1. Redesigned the home page to provide a better searching experience for users.

  2. Created a clear pathway to the “schedule in advance” feature that is currently hidden.

For UberEATS, this redesign would mean an increase in new user engagement and retention, leading to a higher customer lifetime value.

The main challenge

Image: Prototype of new design

Users demonstrated frustration toggling between filtering options on the Home page and searching on the Search page.  I sketched out a new Home Page that combined the search and "filter/sort by" features.

 

I quickly realized that I needed to validate an assumption I was making.  I conducted supplemental research (surveying 20 additional users & conducting competitor analysis) to ensure my redesign was backed by data.

Image: UI sketches to visualize the new home screen

The outcome

Here's an explanation of my design decisions.

Image:  Explanation of final design decisions

The results

I validated my solution by testing five people with a prompt.

Original Design:

0/5 could find the cheapest available healthy food option. Users settled for cheap options, but grew too frustrated to get exactly what they wanted (the cheapest option).

Original Design:

2/5 were able to schedule an order in advance using different methods.  One user did it correctly, but on accident and the other users' method would not work if the restaurant was currently closed.

Redesign:

5/5 could easily find the cheapest healthy food option by filtering their search results.

Redesign:

5/5 could easily schedule an order in advance, even if the restaurant was currently closed.

Key takeaways

From this case study, I learned the importance of not relying on my own assumptions when it comes to designing for others.  When I decided to move the "sort by" off the Home Page and onto the Results Page, I surveyed the 20 additional users just in case what I thought was best, wasn't the norm.  As designers it can be so easy to assume we know what is best for the product, but we need to remember that we aren't designing for ourselves, but for our users.

*The full-length version of this case study was published by Prototypr.io on Medium.  It currently has 3.9K claps!  View it here.

  • nocircle-medium
  • nocircle-dribbble
  • nocircle-twitter
  • nocircle-linkedin
Jasmine Rosen Product Design Portfolio